An inspiring, activity-based workshop that brings the Saxon period to life.
Experience Saxon England, from the hierarchy and etiquette of the Lord’s Hall, the language and the story of Beowulf, through to the burial of a Saxon king.
The day begins with a short talk that explores how the Saxons changed the culture of post-Roman Britain, followed by:
- Etiquette and hierarchy of a feast in the Lord’s Hall
- Learn to play Fox and Geese, a Saxon board game
- A performance of the famous Beowulf story
- A Saxon quiz
- A weapons and armour display
- Why did the Normans win the Battle of Hastings?
- The burial of a Saxon King
- How archaeologists make sense of the information they find in the ground
Did you know…?
Our Saxon workshop leaders have appeared in many historical documentaries and feature films, as well as the BBC’s “Horrible Histories”. They are also part of King Raedwald’s retinue, regularly appearing at Sutton Hoo and have been involved in the Staffordshire Hoard exhibitions.